Friday, August 12, 2011

OtterBox BlackBerry PlayBook Defender Series Case. Revisited.

rbb2-plybk-20

OtterBox has been more than kind to the BerryReview team as they have provided multiple PlayBook Defender cases for review. I thought I would add my 2 cents about these ultra-protective cases and possibly answer any follow up questions the BR faithful may have been having.

First of all, this is obviously not a case for the minimalist. It adds quite a bit of bulk and nearly doubles the thickness of the PlayBook. The added thickness is a small price to pay for the amount of protection this case provides. The Defender truly does defend. As usual, OtterBox has all the bases covered with everything sealed up in forcefield-like fashion…including the screen of course.

I was pleasantly surprised to find that the touchscreen functionality is not affected much at all with the Defender’s screen cover in place. It does cover some of the bezel, but I have not had any difficulty using the gestures. It shows fingerprints, but only as much as the actual screen does. Easily wiped away with your snazzy BlackBerry microfiber cloth.

The only parts that are always exposed to outside air are the 2 front speakers and the 2 microphone holes on the top of the PlayBook. The headphone jack and connection ports are accessible after opening the silicone plugs, which are conveniently labeled in case you forget. Smile

otterbox defender headphone jackotterbox defender ports access

As I was looking over previous reviews I noticed some readers asking about charging dock functionality. Due to the added bulk, you will unfortunately not be able to use the standard charging dock for PlayBook while it is encased in the Defender. When I asked the OtterBox rep if they have any plans to develop a dock that is compatible with the Defender I got another unfortunate no.

This got me thinking if OtterBox has any plans to develop a more minimal (maybe Commuter or Impact?) style case for the PlayBook. I sadly report that there is nothing in the works for this right now either.

The best part about this case is the peace of mind it brings. A PlayBook is an investment and I think its best to protect it as much as possible. The Defender does this extremely well. I think of this as pretty much preserving your tablet…for future generations.

Anything else you would like to know about the OtterBox Defender case for PlayBook? Sound off in the comments!

More on BerryReview

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment

Comment