Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Kindle on the PlayBook – Amazon Kindle Cloud Reader

Amazon Kindle Cloud Reader is now available.  While it’s clear that PlayBook support was not a first priority, with a couple of tweaks the PlayBook is supported.  It’s not perfect, but it’s a fair bit better than the love Amazon has shown for PlayBook to date (that is to say – none at all).

To get started visit the link below from your PlayBook and sign in with your Amazon credentials:

https://read.amazon.com

Some issues and the workaround for them:

I’ll see if I can’t whip up a “Kindle App” for the weekend, which will give us a launcher separate from the web browser and true full-screen.  (If somebody else doesn’t beat me to it – I’m limited to my laptop for the next couple of days as I’m attending the BBM Hackathon, and don’t have the full PB dev environment set up.)   Hopefully I can find a way to force an “offline” mode as well, so that you can launch it with no connection at all.

Some first impressions:

While I can’t help but wish it was a little better integrated with the PlayBook’s features, this effectively fills a gap many of us have been waiting for since the PlayBook launch.

More on BerryReview

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment

Comment