Friday, July 8, 2011

My Own Icons Shortcut Creator With Homescreen Hotkeys

moi9 moi1

I’m always on the lookout for new apps to test out. So when I saw a public beta for MyOwnIcons, I got a little excited. MyOwnIcons is a new app by Fonware Ltd, the maker of the popular app ShortcutMe. At first, I though MyOwnIcons was just another shortcut creator – there’s already a couple apps out there that will create shortcuts and put them on your homescreen. OS6 even has this as a native feature for contacts and web pages.

moi2 moi3

But as I started reading the description for MyOwnIcons I realized there was something that it did that other shortcut creators don’t do: it allows you to set your own homescreen hotkeys. It will also let you create launchers from the BlackBerry Menu!

moi4 moi5

My Own Icons can do the following:
Launch almost any application
Send a PIN message to someone
Call someone
Text someone
Email someone
Compose an Email
Compose a SMS
Compose a PIN
Create a new Task
Create a new memo
Create a new calendar appointment
Create a new Contact
Open Calendar in Agenda, Week, Month, Day view
Open a web page
Runs a shortcut in ShortcutMe

One of the reasons I love BlackBerry is because of the physical keyboard because, let’s face it, there’s no real competition to a BlackBerry keyboard among mobile phones (sorry Storm users ;) ). And when I got my first BlackBerry, I was delighted to learn that RIM had assigned some of those glorious 35 keys to quickly and easily launch some of my most used apps; M for messages, N for BBM, O for Options, etc. But I felt it was a huge shortcoming that I couldn’t define my own custom shortcuts. At first I sought an app that would allow me to define my own homescreen hotkeys, but never could find one. Eventually, like many BlackBerry owners, I purchased QuickLaunch (and won ShortcutMe in a giveaway) and gave up on the idea of custom homescreen shortcuts.

moi6 moi7

Thanks to MyOwnIcons, I can finally have custom homescreen hotkeys. MyOwnIcons lets you create ten custom shortcuts. The light version lets you create one. I personally already setup a weblauncher for BerryReview (homescreen hotkey R), a launcher to SMS my wife (hotkey C), a menu launcher for AP Mobile, and a launcher for calling my parents (hotkey P). Not sure what I’m gonna do with those other 6 launchers, but I’ll figure it out soon enough!

So here’s how MyOwnIcons works:

For more information about MyOwnIcons, you can watch the Developer’s Youtube video here: www.youtube.com/watch?v=f-WCTGykmZc Or read about and purchase the full version in the BerryReview App Store: store.berryreview.com/product.asp?id=654914&n=MyOwnIcons

moi8 moi10

A light version is also available in BlackBerry App World:
appworld.blackberry.com/webstore/content/47907?lang=en

More on BerryReview

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comment

Comment